Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Bigger increase, then smaller: How to go six for six in Weightlifting.

I don't think I've gone six for six in a competition since my very first one. Why is that? I say greed. There are others that will say that six for six is a bad thing and that it means you didn't challenge yourself enough. I don't buy it. Six for six is a great thing and it gives you confidence and room to grow going into your next competition. The fundamental concept behind going six for six is a bigger increase from first to second attempt and then a smaller one from second to third attempt. I myself forget this simple idea, I get caught up in the moment, PR's start flashing through my mind and a total that may just be out of reach for that day. For instance, in one of my last meets my jerk warm-up was going good so I bumped up my opener to 131 and I made that lift, then I went 136, five kilos more, which is a big jump in competition. I made that lift, now would be the time for that smaller jump, I chose 140 and missed the jerk by a hair. 138 would have been a wiser choice, but at least I got the idea correct, bigger then smaller, but it wasn't small enough. In the snatch I opened with 98, made it then went to 103 and made that. Here is were I messed up, I took 108 on my third attempt which was not a smaller jump, it was the same five kilo increase. 105 would have been a much more wiser choice. So I ended with 103+136 for a 239 total but with some better choices in attempts I could have lifted 105+138=243. It doesn't seem like much of a difference but it is, it's the difference between totaling in the 230s and the 240s. Over time those little difference add up to some big differences. Fundamentally, this is about making good decisions, making good choices, which is really what life is all about. If you go down one path and make the wrong decisions, you will never achieve what you could have if you went down the other path and made the right decisions. Everyone should go six for six from time to time, and it starts with the simple idea of bigger jump first then a smaller jump. It's like you are trying to squeeze everything you can out of the competition and over reaching won't produce. You want to make that first lift, take a bigger jump, make that second lift, count your blessings that you are still on a roll and do what the ignorant will fail to do, be a little cautious and take a smaller jump. It will make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment