Friday, October 14, 2011

Good lifters

I was doing squats tonight and I got to 170 and it was hard and slow. I had to give it everything and to a common person it might look like that would be my top set. Instead I put on 175, same thing, a tough, hard, all out effort, but it went up. Again, you might think that I should call it a day, but I proceed with 180 and make it ounce again. Now, I am not a relatively good lifter, but I reminded myself tonight of what makes good lifters good. Good lifters get to a heavy weight and it looks like a limit lift, but then they add more weight and continue to make heavier lifter with sheer effort. For common lifters everything has to be easy, it's very easy to spot. Every lift looks easy, and then along the way they miss almost out of nowhere. It's best described as a lack of effort. These lifters get stronger but they only make weights when it's easy. The flip side is what I'm talking about, someone who has mastered down maximum effort. This lifter for example gets to 150 in say the clean and jerk and you think to yourself, damn that looked like a struggle, that was a hard lift, he doesn't have much more. Then you see the lifter do 155, same thing and you are surprised, surely this is a limit weight. Then 160 is loaded and lifted. What this lifter has done is learned to do things the hard way, he has learned to swim against the current. Chad Vaughn is a very good example of this type of lifter. His 1st attempts look very hard and you wonder how much he has left, as someone said, all his lifts look like they are a cunt hair away from a miss, but he makes them.

No comments:

Post a Comment